Saturday, September 10, 2011

10 Years Ago

Ten Years Ago, sometime after 9/11, I wrote my first poem.
It was a small haiku.
What spawned from that poem came a great bounty of literature- reading, writing and finding beauty in words.
It was perhaps unintentional that it should coincide with that terrorist attack, but thinking on it now, I realize just how important it was for me to witness tragedy and feel pain in my heart that changed my life completely.
A relative died in Tower 1...
It was the most terrifying feeling in my life.

Ten Years Ago, I was 14, attending a school that eventually led me to be President of its Poetry Club I called "Deepest Fools".
The amount of writing I produced was phenomenal.
I'd stay up for hours, spilling out words, forming lengthy stories, plays and poems.
When I look back on all the years from that point, I became exactly what I needed to be. The most pivotal moment for me was having the privilege of meeting the teacher and great friend, Nick Probst.
He taught me about flow and voice. I wrote a poem and read it in front of my class. My voice was soft- eventually becoming louder and louder to the point of screaming.
The last words of that poem was: WAKE UP GO BACK TO SLEEP - WAKE UP GO BACK TO SLEEP - AND DREAM THE OCEAN IN THE BEAT!
When I won my school's poetry award, I eventually found out that Nick nominated me for it.
I never received any award before that.
His kindness and generosity has stuck with me still and I've never been more thankful for his kindness.
An inspiration.

My heart is with my relative,
with the words I've forged and the people I've met.
I love every human being and only wish for people to forge dreams- not war.

Ten Years Ago...
I became who I am today and will never forget that horrible time.

My heart is for the people of that day.


Holding back your own tears is the hardest thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment